- Prep Time: 1h 45m
- Cook Time: 25m
- Total Time: 2h 10m
- 1 bread dough for one loaf (I buy challah dough)
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 oranges, zested plus 2-3 tbsp juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar (or less)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or more)
- PREPARE PAN AND TOPPING: Line a sided-pan - approximately 11 x 7 inch or 12 x 8 inch - with parchment paper (for easy clean up). Melt 1/4 cup butter in a measuring cup in microwave for 25 seconds. Add brown sugar and mix together. Pour into pan and distribute evenly.
- PREPARE BUNS: Stretch dough into a 14 x 8 inch rectangle (approximately). Spread butter evenly over the surface (I use my fingers). Sprinkle white sugar and chocolate chips evenly over the surface, leaving out about 1/2 inch around the sides. If desired, sprinkle a teaspoon of orange zest on too. Starting at the long side of dough, roll the dough into a log and pinch tightly to secure. Cut the log into 16 even slices (or 12 slices for larger buns) and place them into the pan on top of brown sugar topping. FOR MAKE AHEAD: At this point, you can cover the buns lightly (leave space for rising) with plastic wrap and place them in the fridge to rise overnight. The next day, take them out and let them sit on top of a warm oven to come to room temperature for half hour before baking. TO CONTINUE THAT DAY: Leave buns in a warm space on counter or on top of stove for about 1 to 1.5 hours to rise. They should double in size.
- Heat oven to 350F.
- MAKE THE ORANGE GLAZE: In a small bowl, mix icing sugar, 2 tablespoons orange juice (or 3 if you like a thinner glaze), cinnamon and 1-2 teaspoons orange zest, depending on how intense you like it.
- BAKE: Bake uncovered for 20-23 minutes (for 16 buns) or 22-25 minutes (for 12 buns) - or until golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes, then invert onto a platter or cutting board. Pour on glaze. Serve warm.