- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter (or combination)
- 1/4 cup orzo (or broken-up thin spaghetti)
- 1/2 cup long grain rice (white, basmati, jasmine)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion or onion
- 1 1/2 cups broth (vegetable, chicken or beef)
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon zest,
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or more to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste (about 1/4-1/2 tsp)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 8-10 medium asparagus stalks, cut into pieces (OPTIONAL)
- SAUTE ORZO, RICE, ONIONS: Heat oil/butter in skillet to medium high. Add orzo, rice and onions and saute, stirring for about 5-6 minutes, until half of orzo and rice turns light brown.
- ADD BROTH, HERBS AND SIMMER: Add broth, lemon, zest, dill, salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until broth is absorbed and rice/orzo is tender. IF ADDING ASPARAGUS, add asparagus pieces to skillet 4-5 minutes before the rice-orzo finishes cooking. Cover and continue cooking. Mix in parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings (adding more salt, dill or lemon zest if desired) and serve immediately.