Vegetable & Grilled Chicken Fried Rice is a great way to use up leftover rice for a perfect easy weeknight meal. Much healthier and tastier than take out!
This is one of those recipes that is more of a guideline than a recipe. You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand and the ingredient amounts are certainly not rigid. It tastes great with little effort and time – and it’s super healthy. I use a much higher ratio of vegetables to rice. Don’t let the long list of ingredients put you off. You can easily cut that down if you want or take a few shortcuts (see below).
I love the sweet silky mangoes in this dish, but if you don’t have any, you can leave them out or substitute pineapple or oranges. Any of these will provide a perfect contrast to the saltier and textured veggies and rice. I find the subtle sweet-tangy taste of the BBQ sauce on the chicken gives it a nice boost in flavour (I also like to mix in a tablespoon or so of BBQ sauce at the end too). You can marinate the chicken if you have time, but most of the time I don’t bother.
The vegetable & grilled chicken fried rice makes a delicious meal or snack reheated (or cold straight out of the fridge) the next day. Takeout…move over.
- use store-bought grilled chicken or any chicken chunks (toss with a bit of BBQ sauce).
- use garlic from the jar.
- reduce the number of vegetables e.g. use one or two vegetables only with the green onions.
- leave out the chicken and make a vegetarian fried rice.
- substitute other vegetables like chopped spinach, corn, carrots, celery, snap peas, snow peas, edamame.
- use a different marinade to BBQ the chicken such as Italian dressing or a mix of garlic, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- use brown rice
- use orange sections or pineapple chunks instead of the mangoes.
- use pork or beef instead of chicken.
Here are two other similar main dishes you might like: