Red Lentil Vegetable Soup is a healthy, hearty, flavourful meal in a bowl. It makes a satisfying weeknight meal served with crusty bread. Yum!
This lentil soup is thick, rich and flavourful – and super healthy. Lentils are a good source of soluble fibre, protein, folate, and other minerals and vitamins. Add carrots, onions, celery, potato and … hey…healthy. You can adjust the flavour and spices to your taste with coriander, more cumin or even hot sauce. If you like cilantro, use that instead of parsley. We love the lemon in the soup. It gives it a bright zing.
We typically serve this lentil soup as a full meal with crusty bread. And maybe a salad. But of course you can use a smaller portion as a starter. Be careful though – it’s filling. One more thing, it freezes well, so it’s a great make-ahead soup.
- As mentioned in the recipe, you can throw all the vegetables in the processor for a rough chop (pulse a few times) instead of dicing them all by hand.
- Use garlic in the jar or frozen garlic cubes instead of mincing garlic cloves.
- use cilantro or parsley
- add 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- use a cup of diced tomatoes (no juice) instead of tomato paste
- alter the seasonings to your taste
- use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth
- add more broth to make it a thinner soup
- puree all or part of the soup with an immersion blender
Other hearty soups you might like are: